Tia’s Top Ten – Thanksgiving Edition

Alloria Frayser, Writer

It’s the Holly Jolly season!! If you ask anyone, they would say that Christmas should not be celebrated until after Thanksgiving. However, I think that Thanksgiving is just as much a part of the Christmas season as Christmas is, therefore making it the ~H0lly Jolly ~ season. Or at least, that’s what I like to call it.

As much as I’d like to do a Christmas themed list, I know that many of you would be a little (or, a lot) upset if I ignored Thanksgiving. So, here is my top 10 list of Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade performances that you definitely didn’t ask for!

Number 10: Zendaya (2011)

Zendaya is one of the biggest influencers of this generation; how could her performance NOT be iconic? Her career only went up from here.

Number 9: The Jonas Brothers (2007)

Jokes on you. The Jonas Brothers can’t break up, they’re ~brotheeeerrsss~

Number 8: Rick Astley

People were “Rick Rolled” in real life by Rick’s performance of his infamous song “Never Gonna Give You Up.” AND on a Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends float???? ICONIC.

Number 7: Big Time Rush (2010)

Okay, listen. Big Time Rush was such a huge part of my childhood, so of COURSE I fangirled over this performance. They’re like the Nickelodeon version of One Direction, post-Zayn. I luv them <3

Number 6: Spirit of America (2011)

I’m a little partial to this one, but my sister (top left) got to perform in the parade her senior year of high school, which I think is super duper cool. Their performance was so amazing, and it was fun to try to find her on tv. I always thought I’d do it too, but the odds were not in my favor. So, I continue to live vicariously through her pictures and stories in hopes that, one day, that will be me.

Number 5: Newsies (2011)

Cute boys who can dance and sing. What more could you ask for? The boys wow audiences with their impressive tap dancing skills, passionate singing voices, and all-around wonderful stage presence.

Number 4: Something Rotten (2015)

I couldn’t find a great picture of the parade performance, but this show is a great reminder of what makes theatre so great. It makes fun of the concept of musicals while doing stereotypical theatrical things, which is hilariously ironic. Audiences were sure to love the charisma and charm from the performers.

Number 3: CATS (2016)

Now, I know what you’re thinking. Why are a bunch of people in unitards and spandex dressed up like cats, and how is that entertaining? Or, if you’re a little more educated about theatre, you’re probably asking, “What even is the plot of “CATS?'” Well, I’m here to tell you that IT HAS A PLOT….it’s just hard to explain. Regardless, this performance was just a reminder that Andrew Loyd Webber (creator of the musical) is a genius and is definitely on drugs. But we love him anyway!

Number 2: Anastasia (2017)

Here you’ll see a picture of my mom and dad. Derek Klena and Christy Altomare are pretty much the reason that I wake up in the morning. They are both such beautiful and passionate performers, and that is most definitely reflected in this performance.

Number 1: Once On This Island (2017)

If you know anything about me, you know that I cry a lot. This musical is a sure-fire way to get me sobbing in about 2 minutes. The story is breathtakingly beautiful, and the cast has worked so hard to make the revival of this show what it is, so I felt like a proud mom watching them perform so well.

I hope you enjoyed my Top Ten list for November! Let me know what you’d like to see me list in December and if you agreed or disagreed with anything in this month’s list in the comments! xoxo