Headed to the Naval Academy, Flanagan speaks on why he’s going, and his plans going forward.

Carter Cox, Newspaper Staff

Jackson Flanagan is graduating high school on June 1st, but that is also a date for a new beginning. Jackson was accepted to the Naval Academy, which has an acceptance rate of 9 percent. I had the opportunity to interview Jackson about this major accomplishment.

Q: How long has it been a goal of yours to achieve this?

A: Since I was a freshman.

Q: What started you on this path?

A: Well, I was first inspired to go the Naval Academy because I wanted to be an astronaut ever since I was a little kid. So I started doing a lot of research because I was pretty passionate about it. While I was researching, I saw that a lot of astronauts through military service, especially pilots. So I considered the Air Force Academy, and the Naval Academy.

Q: What made you choose to go after the Naval Academy, rather than Air Force?

A: As I was looking into the Naval Academy, I realized I really wanted to be a officer in the Navy. And the Naval Academy really emphasized character, courage, and commitment. I really like the fact also that the Academy encourages you to be a leader.

Q: Did you have any family members previously do this?

A: So, I actually heard about it from my cousin’s boyfriend. I had heard of it, but after I talked to him I gained a lot of interest.

Q: Are there any perks from going to the Naval Academy that differ from the normal college experience?

A: Well, I don’t have to pay a single dime. Anyone who goes there gets it completely free. I could talk for days and days about what the Naval Academy gives you over any university. Free, emphasize character and leadership more than any other school, and you have to stay physically fit while you are there, which is an advantage. The academics are also very rigorous there, so you are going to leave a challenging experience with a credible degree that you can use for any career you choose. Also, you have an opportunity to meet a lot of famous people while you are there.

Q: What occupation are you striving are you looking to get?

A: Naval Aviator. I want to be a pilot in the Navy, hopefully flying jets off of Aircraft Carriers, and maybe be a test pilot one day, we’ll see.

Q: Do you plan on pursuing a long career in the Navy?

A: See that’s the thing, I don’t know yet. But that’s also what excites me: I don’t have to know. So I’m gonna spend four years at the Naval Academy, then get my commision. If I don’t do aviation, I’ll have a commitment of five years. I’ll see how I like it, and I don’t then I’ll get out after those five years. I do believe that I’ll end up liking it though, I’m obviously pretty dedicated because I’m going to the Naval Academy. If I do aviation, I’ll have another eight years of service, so I would be 32 years old before I could retire. But I really do think I’ll have a long career in the Navy because I like the thought of holding some command in the Navy one day.

Q: Let’s play hypothetical. You spend the five years but you don’t like it. What are you gonna do then?

A: Well if that’s the case, when my contract is up, I’ll expand my education, but I can do that in the Navy as well. And I’m uh, pretty sure people won’t, um, decline me for a job offer if you know what I mean. But like I said, my goal is to fly, and the Navy is where I want to do that.

Q: All right, last question. What advice or message do you have for people trying to achieve the very thing you did?

A: Well, not just specifically for the Naval Academy, you have to have a true sense of ambition inside of you. Reach beyond your limits, create a path that you aren’t familiar with. Don’t be afraid to be the lone wolf. You have to be a individual person, and learn about yourself in order to do the big things. Really delve into who you are, and then you can find what you want to do in life. So basically, know what you want, focus on that, and work to make it happen. And don’t be deterred by failure.