2019 Graduate Hallie Whelan Takes a Different Approach on College

Peyton Rabb, Staff Writer

This past year, 2019 graduate Hallie Whelan was given the opportunity to work for 2929 Entertainment in Hollywood as an intern, fostering her interest in movie production. Her job description contains everything in and around reading scripts, debating casting options, researchi

ng and suggesting streaming services, and more. All of this while receiving a hands-on, close up view to the art that is movie-making.

Whelan describes the work to be project-based, giving her the opportunity to work on something different all the time. 

“My job description is continuing to expand as I get settled here,” Whelan explains. “I’ll be working with Magnolia Pictures and on set with Netflix by the end of this month.”

Learning more about the job that she loves isn’t the only perk of this incredible opportunity. Whelan is currently working closely alongside actress Jennifer Lawrence, who is serving as an executive producer on one of the company’s movies right now. In addition, she has also worked a little bit with Rainn Wilson, who plays the character Dwight on The Office. Whelan also had the opportunity to work next to Lin-Manual Miranda, describing her experience working with him as “incredible,” being very fond of him and his work. 

The company she is working for has three movie projects, three TV shows, and a few other projects that they are currently developing. One of these projects includes a movie that is based on the trial of Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, a couple that was accused of being Soviet spies during the Cold War. It will be featuring well-known actress Elizabeth Moss.

Perks aside, moving to another state to live on her own has been challenging, especially initially.

“Living in Los Angeles is definitely an adjustment,” Whelan says. “Going from a full house with five other people to living in an apartment without even a roommate is a pretty big change.”

Through all of the difficulties, she remembers that she chose this internship over a normal college education. Whelan is currently enrolled at the University of Kentucky, where she is taking a course that allows her to continue this experience while she writes about her time in L.A. 

“I have the rest of my life to go to school,” Whelan explains. “While it’s not a conventional path, it would’ve been a mistake to pass up this internship. I know I would’ve regretted it.”

In regards to making this decision, Whelan knows she would not have even considered this internship offer if not for the lessons she learned during her years at Central Hardin. She explains that for a majority of her high school life, she stayed within her comfort zone, largely due to a fear of failure. She learned how to cope with rejection, whether personally or professionally, and grew confidence over the four years she attended Central. By senior year, her fear of regret overpowered her decisions. 

“I know that if I didn’t take it, I’d regret it,” Whelan says. “To me, that’s much scarier than moving across the country at 18.”

After this internship, Whelan would like to continue working within the entertainment industry. The opportunity she was given made an impact on her life and opened her eyes to what she may spend the rest of her career doing.

“I definitely think that the entertainment industry is it for me,” Whelan says. “Movie marketing, production, or even the more editorial processes are all so interesting and exciting.”

“Rejection or failure pales in comparison to regret,” Whelan concludes.