What You’re Wearing Is So Vintage

Carlie Clements, Staff Writer

Remember that picture you once found in the attic from 1980 something? Did you ever think to look at what everyone was wearing in it? 

The peoples’ outfits in the picture most likely looked a bit like what you have on today.

Many of the students in our school dress to a similar aesthetic; if they do not, they may still have some of the same trending clothing and accessories in their wardrobe.

Several of the popular clothing items of 2020 are, in fact, some of the most popular items much before our time.

Think about all the things your wardrobe contains: shoes, shirts, jackets, pants, sunglasses, etc. 

Some believe that shoes set the tone for an entire outfit, so what are those shoes in our school today?

Often you see bulky or rather “chunky sneakers,” such as the Filas that many girls wear, were very popular in the 80s.

Or maybe those white platform boots you keep seeing in the hallway that are straight out of the 1970s.

The ripped jeans that almost everyone seems to have a pair of were first made popular in the 80s, and “mom jeans” were too.

Flare jeans have also made their way back into the current style since their first popularity in the 60s.

Assistant Principal Chastity Yates said that she has noticed that leggings have also made a comeback since the 80s and 90s.

You know those crop tops with the high-rise jeans (to fit school dress code)? The crops are from the 30s and 40s, and the jeans? The 70s all the way.

“Even the way girls tuck in their shirts (French Tuck),” has made a return since the 1980s, Yates added.

According to Cosmopolitan, one of the hottest trends for the year 2020 is cardigans, which are worn by lots of people in the school, that were very popular in the 1990s.

Then there are the accessories, or rather the add-on items.

How about those scrunchies (that aren’t just worn by the “vsco girls”)? The 90s hair had to be handled somehow, and they were it.

Sunglasses, while they cannot be worn in school, are a great accessory for a day out.

“The John Lennon glasses are very popular, and the whole 80s and 90s vibe are very popular,” junior Preston Cobb said.

The Aviators that many love actually were first brought to be in Italy in the 1950s.

The fun cat-eye sunglasses were a 70s pick, but if you would rather have those big round, thicker, sunglasses, (that are on a popular Snapchat filter), they are from the 1920s. 

The “John Lennon glasses,” Cobb referred to are from way back in the 60s.

The final addition for some girls is a necklace. The choker necklaces that are quite popular were originally worn in the 1790s, then returned in the 1920s, again in the 40s, and in the 90s.

Yates said that she has seen several different shifts in clothing and has seen styles from the past repeat themselves, and Cobb agreed.

“I think fashion repeats itself and that a lot of people like going for the whole look of the past,” Cobb said. I think in about twenty years we’ll probably view our current style as old. I think styles are always changing and that people will always want to dress with a style from the past too.”