Get to Know New Principal Matt Baucum

This is Matt Baucum’s first year as an assistant principal at Central Hardin, so we would like to give students a bit of insight as to who he is and a bit of information about his life before joining us here at our school. Baucum attended Reidland High School, which is in Paducah, Kentucky. He went to Murray State University, and I got a degree in music education, and then went to the University of Iowa and got a master’s degree in music. Baucum planned to be a band director, and that’s what he has done for the past 20 years. He started teaching at Reidland High School, as a high school band teacher for two years, and then taught at Larue County Middle School for four years. For the last 14 years, he has taught at East Hardin Middle, but while at East Hardin was also an assistant band director at Central Hardin. Though being a band director was his original goal, in his new role he will not continue to work with the band. As time went on, he became interested in becoming an administrator and being able to affect all the students and help all the students and teachers in the school. Baucum said, “I love this school and the people here and the students and the teachers. And it was just when the opportunity came open, I knew that I needed to apply.” He has had a great experience at Central getting to know teachers, principles, and students since he began working here on September the third. Outside of school, Baucum loves spending time outdoors with his family, whether that’s camping, riding mountain bikes, hiking, or just working around the land outside of his home.

Carlie Clements, Staff Writer

This is Matt Baucum’s first year as an assistant principal at Central Hardin, so we would like to give students a bit of insight as to who he is and a bit of information about his life before joining us here at our school.

CENTRAL TIMES: Where did you attend high school?

BAUCUM: I attended Reidland High School, which is in Paducah, Kentucky.

CENTRAL TIMES: Where did you attend college? 

BAUCUM: I went to Murray State University, and I got a degree in music education. From there, I went to the University of Iowa and got a master’s degree in music.

CENTRAL TIMES: Initially, what was your plan for a career?

BAUCUM: I planned to be a band director, and that’s what I’ve done for the past 20 years. I started out actually teaching back at my home school, where I graduated from, Reidland High School, as a high school band teacher for two years. Then I taught at Larue County Middle School for four years. And then, at East Hardin Middle School for the last 14 years, but while at East Hardin I was also an assistant band director here at Central Hardin, so I was working with the band here as well, that whole entire time.

CENTRAL TIMES: Are you going to continue work with the band?

BAUCUM: In my new role as an assistant principal, I will not be working with the band, but that was my original career plan. As I was a teacher and as time went on, I became interested in becoming an administrator, and being able to affect all the students and help all the students and teachers in the school. So currently, that’s where I’m at.

CENTRAL TIMES: Is this your first job as a principal?

BAUCUM: Correct.

CENTRAL TIMES: What brought you to Central?

BAUCUM: Well, the opportunity came open for this position. Like I said, I’ve been here working at the school for 14 years. I love the school and the people here and the students and the teachers. And it was just when the opportunity came open, I knew that I needed to apply and when I was offered the position, I couldn’t pass it up. I just love working here and I love being in Hardin County, and everything about our school.

CENTRAL TIMES: How has your experience at Central Hardin been so far?

BAUCUM: It’s been really good. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know the teachers, of course, trying to learn who they are and their names, and just learning a lot from the other assistant principals and Mr. Isaacs here. They’ve been really helping me out. It’s been a great experience.

CENTRAL TIMES: Has been difficult coming into this new position as an assistant principal during this uncertain time?

BAUCUM: Yeah, I didn’t start here until September the third, so I didn’t have time in the summer to kind of plan and prepare myself. I was jumping in headfirst.

CENTRAL TIMES: How do you spend your free time outside of school? 

BAUCUM: Outside of school, I love spending time outdoors. My family goes camping a lot and I like to ride my bicycle, my mountain bike. We do a little bit of hiking and just working around the land outside my house.