It’s Time to Show Gratitude

A Look Into What Students and Staff Are Thankful for This Thanksgiving Season

Math teacher Kacie Meyer enjoys her lunchtime with students as she wraps up her final couple of days at Central. (Nov. 11)

Hanna Grass, Writer

Moving into the month of November, students and teachers on campus reflected on the past year they have had as a nation, school, and community, recounting the things they are thankful for this autumn season.

After over a year and a half of experiencing a worldwide pandemic, everyone here at Central has overall been through so much, both individually and collectively. From being sent home abruptly in March 2020, to working through the technological difficulties of online learning for months at a time, immense adaptation and perseverance was required to make it through such a challenging time.

As most know, this dramatic and rapid change from an in-person school environment and overall social routine to complete isolation takes a toll on a human being’s mental and emotional health. It can be difficult to see the light amidst such deep darkness in the world around us. Focusing on the negative aspects and struggles in our lives is often so much easier than looking for the positives. However, despite all the challenge and struggle, both students and staff made it through. Central Hardin stood strong and is working every day to reinstate the comfortable environment once embraced.

Coming full circle and wrapping up the first trimester of the 2021-2022 school year, there is so much everyone can be thankful for. Whether it be through school, sports, friends, family, extracurricular activities, etc, it is so important to take a few seconds to recognize the elements in life that make us smile.

“I’m thankful for this season of marching band,” band director Trevor Ervin expounded, “I’m thankful for good people and strong relationships.”

After having a successful season of marching band and adding a few more trophies to the elaborate band room collection, Ervin is grateful for the hard work his students have shown and all they have achieved.

Math teacher Kacie Meyer also opened up about what she is grateful for this November.

“I’m just thankful for my kids this year, they’ve been great,” she kindly explained. “I’m getting ready to leave, so they’re kinda the group I needed to just be good to me on my way out.”

“I’m thankful that we’re back in person teaching, it’s good to see my students again,” biology teacher Jared Eaton voiced, something many teachers at Central can appreciate and relate to, “I’m thankful for my health, my family, and the ability to do what I love.”

After being seperated from one another and without a secure learning environment, it’s not only teachers who are soaking up the social inclusivity being back in school means.

“I’m thankful for being able to make new friends this year and for having good teachers that I enjoy.” sophomore Kayla White remarked with a smile.

Furthermore, with the return of a more normal school year came the return of a more normal school sports and activity schedule. So far, Central has had many successful sports, club, and extracurricular seasons after coming back from such a bizarre previous year of taking strong precautions against COVID-19.

“I’m thankful for the opportunities this school gives me,” sophomore marching band member Wyatt Nguyen said, “…[I’m thankful] for the music program and the educational programs here.”

Now, the things students voiced they are thankful for aren’t just the topics relating to school and school-sponsored groups, but their lives in general.

For sophomore Kiris Ray, the first things that came to mind in regards to what she was thankful for were simply, “My family, my friends, and my relationship with God.”

When it comes to personal priorities and life outside the classroom, it seems each and every one of the Bruin family members has something or someone to find gratitude for as we bask in the final few months of 2021.

If you struggle with recognizing aspects in your life to be thankful for, try taking a step back and appreciating the little things most of us forget about in our day-to-day routines. Whether that be the morning or evening meals you share with family members, the attire you clothe your body in, or simply, “…being alive” as junior Billy Reinholt stated; anything and everything can be treasured or cherished.

Overall, as we inch closer day by day to Thanksgiving, a holiday and time of year enthralled in reflection and gratitude, taking a moment each day to give thanks is highly encouraged. This campus community wants to create comfortable circumstances where everyone can live in a state of love, and showing appreciation is one huge way you can contribute. Central Hardin is a beautiful place to be, and a home to so many beautiful people. Everywhere you look there are things to be thankful for this season.