‘Prove them wrong. It’s the most empowering feeling in the world’

Patmore Takes Road Less Traveled to Prepare for Career in Residential Maintenance

Kenzie Stambaugh

Students in early career programs typically get a head start over other students. In these programs, students can become a certified worker, which may help most students avoid going into debt for most of their life. 

While the Elizabethtown Early College and Career Center and the Elizabethtown Community and Technical College offer several career opportunities for students, senior Chloe Patmore set out in Residential Maintenence, a field that has changed her perception of her future, and one that has definitely changed her life. 

Residential Maintenance, which prepares students for careers such as electrician and carpenter, was something Chloe didn’t always have her mindset on. Originally she was in Automotives. 

“I wasn’t learning anything, I got bored quickly,” Patmore said. “It’s like no one was willing to teach me. When I asked for help they say ‘just let me do it.’ 

The young lady has an aspiration for trades. Chloe enjoys residential maintenance because it’s just fun, and not hard to do. She’s not good with heavy thinking and hard stuff. She was unfond of office and fast-food jobs. Chloe was intimidated that she was the only woman in her class, but her excitement took over. No backing down on her watch. She’s absolutely thrilled to announce that she will be a completely certified electrician and carpenter by the end of the second trimester. It’s all she’s ever wanted. 

Unfortunately in our society, women in these career fields are sometimes frowned upon. While Chloe has gained much respect from her peers, it wasn’t always that way.  Though she experienced sexual, sexist, and degrading remarks, her instructors have always had her back. 

“They always told me not to give up. They were thrilled I was in the class, and they always told me that they wanted me there because we need more women in the field.” 

Chloe’s favorite thing in residential maintenance is doing a circuit by herself for the first time. It was at that moment that everyone in her class knew that Chloe was capable of learning and doing things on her own. Though she admires learning new things, she is ecstatic to be working as an electrician.

“Having people who know what they’re doing with things like this is so important,” Patmore said. “Electrical fires are increasing because people don’t know what they’re doing. We need people ready to buckle down and ready to get cracking. There are people’s lives at risk if you screw up.”

If you are a woman interested in the trades, do not hesitate to ask where to start. You could have just as much opportunity as Chloe Patmore, giving you an early headstart to your future and the success you desire. Patmore is rooting for you. Take a step, and get the courage to find what makes you happy even if it’s out of the ordinary.