The Central Times

Stress increases as college deadlines approach

Sebastian Petzinger, Writer

For students, stress levels are high as they complete college and scholarship applications.

The transition from high school to college is not an easy one. There are many hurdles to jump over in the process, and as the deadlines approach, the pressure is on.

College decisions should be taken seriously because they will determine your path in life. There are so many factors that go into it such as where you want to go, what your major is, and what scholarships you consider. These factors are just scratching the surface.

Juniors, it might seem like it’s too early to start looking at colleges and applying for scholarships, but now is a perfect time. As a senior, I can say that these dates have quickly crept up on me.

Seniors, fight past the stress that these applications are bringing you and keep up your hard work. The finish line is in sight.

Here’s to The Class of 2019 as they begin their college endeavors. Good luck!

About the Writer
Sebastian Petzinger, Writer

Hi, my name is Sebastian Petzinger. I am a senior at CHHS. This year will be my first year on the Central Times Staff. Journalism has always been an interest...

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Stress increases as college deadlines approach”

1. jordan isom on September 21st, 2018 8:56 am

This is pretty good. It’s nice, sweet and straight to the point. I think that looking for colleges should start earlier than junior year. Start researching what things they need to get into a few different colleges so that they can base their class scheduling around the criteria that need to be met. But overall I like this article. It speaks many truths.

2. Carolee Coleman on September 21st, 2018 9:06 am

I can say that you’re not alone in this. I don’t typically procrastinate, but these deadlines come faster than I know, and I am caught up in school and athletics that I keep pushing them away. I find that it is better for me to give myself a couple hours to just sit down and put all distractions away so I can start writing essays and filling out applications.

3. Lauren Glidewell on September 21st, 2018 9:25 am

Completely agree. As a senior I am certainly feeling overwhelmed in deciding which college (in or out of state) and checking available scholarships. I definitely which these were things I applied more thought to my senior year.

4. tyler on September 21st, 2018 11:38 am

Love this article. It’s very true. All school is stressful but especially college. I think a lot of it is applying for scholarships and loans.

5. Matthew King on September 21st, 2018 11:47 am

I personally know I’m not going to college due to certain reasons, but this article is a great start for juniors who are getting in the mindset to look for colleges and a great reminder for seniors who still need to meet requirements.

6. Whitney on September 21st, 2018 11:54 am

I agree with this article. As a senior, I am very stressed about college.

7. sophia torres on September 21st, 2018 1:33 pm

applying for colleges is just as stressful as waiting to be accepted. if i could go back in time and talk to my junior year self i would say get cracking on scholarships as early as possible. a lot of times you’ll hear about a scholarship that sounds perfect for you but you’ll never apply for it which causes you to miss out, adding more stress. the best thing a senior can do at this point is to sleep a lot because you’ll miss most of that in college!

8. amanda kratzwald on September 21st, 2018 1:38 pm

I love this! Deadlines really get the best of me and stress me out on whole new level. It’s easy to procrastinate and do other things instead but it is so important to do things that will help you in your future. You’re not alone when it comes to being stressed and everyone has each others back through this.

9. Madison Andretta on September 21st, 2018 1:55 pm

Yes, I completely agreed. All members of the class of 2020 should start on their college stuff as soon as possible. It will cause you to be not as stressed out as I am right now. College applications are super stressful, and if you start now, you will be less stressed out in the future. Also, good job writing this, Sebastian.
    -Maddie Andretta, Class of 2019

10. Carol S. Myers on September 21st, 2018 9:48 pm

Great article! The entire online publication is amazing. I’ve never seen a high school news site as excellent as this one. Kudos to the publication staff and Ms. Sherrard!!!

11. Alexis Puckett on September 28th, 2018 1:48 pm

I am a senior and this is so true! Even though i did start looking at colleges early (my sophomore year), it still wasn’t enough time. Between class work, senior dues, track, and college courses, my life is filled to the brim. I don’t have time for anything else. I do homework for at least 3 hours every single night. So juniors, take notes. We know what we are talking about. And DON’T PROCRASTINATE. It will just make you fall so much behind you won’t be able to catch up.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Stress increases as college deadlines approach

Entertainment

Tia’s Top Ten – Thanksgiving Edition

Opinion

Will the real patriots please stand up?

Opinion

Fall Break* isn’t meant for homework

Entertainment

Art isn’t easy

Entertainment

Tia’s Top Ten – Thanksgiving Edition

Features

Vaping drains your bank account and your energy

News

Paying respects to those who served!

News

Are you a good student? PBIS has a reward for you!

Archive

Good Luck, Band!

Sports

Central athletes commit to the next level

The Student News Site of Central Hardin High School