It’s Like I Can Feel Time Moving

Matthew Mills

Journalism staff on their trip to St. Louis

Maggie Phelps, Writer, Editor-in-Chief

In Omnia Paratus, a latin phrase meaning “prepared in all things.”

This phrase being made notable by Gilmore Girls has made a lasting impression on me, and why I typically consider myself to be overly prepared in all aspects of my life, I could have not possibly been prepared for the emotions presented by my last week of senior year.

I have spent every moment in the sun and night by my lamp this week looking back on the memories that I’ve had the opportunity to make. While most of those memories are met with a laugh and a smile, some have been met with several tears shed.  

Above all, I am saying goodbye to the publication that has meant the most to me, The Central Times

I have known from the time I was in sixth grade that I wanted to pursue a career in journalism. I often felt defeated when I announced my career aspirations, as I felt like no one quite understood the desire and passion I had for wanting to put pen to paper. 

It wasn’t until my sophomore year that I felt truly empowered to chase my dreams. I never gave up on my wants, and I believe that it takes a special kind of person to continue to believe in themselves even when they don’t have that outlet provided to them. I am never one to brag about myself, but I’d like to think that I have the qualities of that special person. However, that statement wouldn’t be true without The Central Times

Joining staff my sophomore year was without a doubt the best decision I have ever made for myself. 

I believe that every single person has the ability to become more patient, more kind, and more compassionate if we take a moment to sit down and listen. Being a student journalist has given me a profound perspective on storytelling and finding the story that is held within everyone. If we never learn to listen, then there will never be a story to be told, and there will never be a life to have been altered. Everyone has a story to tell, it’s up to you to make the decision to listen. I promise you will reap the benefits. 

Student journalism has also instilled in me that your voice can and will in fact change the world. I have been lucky enough to have an outlet that has provided me the opportunity to speak up for what I believe is right. I hope that I never lose my passion for standing firm in my beliefs and using the power I have to make right. Sitting in the back seat has never been a comfortable decision for me, I choose to make others feel empowered through the world of journalism.

I have been welcomed with the most selfless, adoring, and generous advisor one could ever hope for. She has continued to pour into me more and more every day and believes in me more than I could ever believe in myself. She has presented me with opportunities that my sixth grade self could have only dreamed of having. She has built my passion for journalism even higher and I know she will continue to be one of my greatest mentors even outside of the hallways of Central Hardin. To the loving Ms. Sherrard, I will never forget the impression that you’ve left on my life. 

The Central Times has been so kind as to give me my greatest friends. Some I’ve only interacted with for a year, another have been entirely new friendships made, and others have grown and bonded me closer with existing relationships. We walk into room 112 every day and share laughter, food, emotions, opinions, and random thoughts that bounce around our heads. 

I have had the pleasure of leading my staff members this year as their Editor-in-Chief and it has been the greatest experience yet. I hope they know how much their presence on staff has meant to me. They have only made me a better person and I will cherish these relationships forever. I hope they have learned from me just as I have learned from them. My love will only continue to grow for my fellow writers. 

It would not be a true article of mine if I didn’t find a moment to mention Taylor Swift. In her 2020 release,“Peace”, the lyric reads, “our coming-of-age has come and gone/suddenly the summer, it’s clear.”

Over the summer it will become clear how drastically my life has changed since graduating high school and I wave goodbye to the coming-of-age years of my life; but, I hold strongly to the idea that I will fall exactly where I need to be, and I thank it all to The Central Times.