The End of an Era

My Farewells to CHHS
Brooklyn Suarez graduating kindergarten at North Park Elementary School.

The last time I wore a cap and gown, I was graduating from kindergarten. 

My mom had fixed up my hair and picked out my clothes. We drove to North Park Elementary and walked the familiar halls towards my classroom. My teacher invited me and my mom in with a grin and I met with all my classmates already in their cap and gowns. My teacher pulled up a rack of gowns for me and fitted me in one that would fit just right. My mom of course was already glassy-eyed as she looked at me overjoyed. 

“One day, there’ll be a day where you wear this for your last-ever graduation,” my mom said.

The day I received my cap and gown, I was hit with that memory. I was overwhelmed with the feeling of starting something new. I still haven’t quite figured out if it is a good feeling or not. But maybe it can be both. I’ve been left overwhelmingly excited. 

Before I shut this chapter of my life for good, I want to say a few farewell words to the people who’ve impacted my life the most through my last four years. 

To Mrs. Jeanice Charlton, thank you for all the help you’ve given me in heading toward my career. Thank you for all the kind gestures and the hilarious jokes we’ve shared over the years. You’ve been one of my favorite teachers to have.

To Mr. Tyler Vessels, thank you for being the person I could talk to about anything. Although you never even had me as a student, you’ve made me really regretful that I couldn’t. Thank you for all our biblical conversations and for listening to my teenage problems. 

To Mr. Paul Gray, thank you for helping me grow closer to God. Thank you for welcoming me into FCA even though you didn’t really know who I was. But, the fact that you wanted to get to know me meant everything to me. I loved getting together in fellowship and will miss it so much.

To Ms. Susan Sherrard, thank you for being one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met. I enjoyed being in all of your classes so much, The Central Times especially. I will never forget this staff and the memories we made. 

To Mrs. Jo Million, thank you for being so fun and sweet to every single student you’ve met. I really enjoyed being in your classes and working in FCCLA with you. Thank you for all the hard work you put in to make sure we could succeed in our FCCLA events. 

To Mrs. Angela Cannon, I’m sorry I gave you such a hard time during my junior year of having your classes. I hope my senior year made up for it! Thank you for being so kind and patient with your students, especially me. 

To Mrs. Samantha Dougherty, I’m sorry as well for the hard time I gave you my junior year. I wish I could’ve made up for it. You were so sweet and patient with all of us too. You truly deserved better. 

To Mrs. Brendan Chaney and Amanda Sanders, thank you both for being my safe space during my sophomore year. Thank you for all the help you gave me and even for giving me space when all I needed was to cry. I appreciate you both and I know you guys have made such big impacts on students here at Central. 

To Selest Sutton and Lily Williams, our journey isn’t over but you both have made such an impact on not only my high school years but my life. Thank you for being my sisters in Christ and holding me up when I needed it. I love you both so dearly. 

To The Central Times staff, being able to work with all of you talented writers has been the most fun I’ve had in my senior year. I love all of our discussions whether they were serious or playful. I loved being able to be creative with you all. You’ve opened up my shell and helped me find my voice in writing. I will miss all of you so much.

To my bus buddies, I enjoyed all our years together on the bus. It was such a hilarious way to end the day with all of you. The memories I’ve made there will be dear to me always. A special thanks to Mr. Adam Warrad as well for being my bus driver since sophomore year!

To my past relationships, whether they were platonic or romantic, thank you for helping me to learn about what I will and will not tolerate in my future. Thank you for teaching me more about myself and what I deserve. I wish you all the best of luck in your future.

To my family, who are the most important, thank you for celebrating every single accomplishment I’ve ever made. Thank you for all the support you’ve given me whether I was rock bottom or a star at the top. I love all of you so much. 

To my sisters, who will eventually end up as a student here at Central. Have the most fun you can have here! You deserve all of it. Show this place who Vivienne and Jaelyn are! Don’t be afraid to be yourself. Don’t be shy, don’t be scared, don’t be insecure. I love you both and you will do great things. 

To Aiden, my amazing boyfriend, thank you for making me a better person. Thank you for celebrating my accomplishments and tolerating my day-in-the-life rants. Thank you for being someone I can lean on when I feel like I’m falling apart. I’m so blessed to have you in my life. I love you eternally.

To my mom, who deserves her own thank you, I love you more than you could ever imagine. Thank you for pushing me to be the person today. Thank you for being my biggest supporter and encouraging me when I feel like I should give up. Thank you for helping me build the confidence to get to this point. Thank you for always being proud of me. I’m so proud to be your daughter.

To God, all glory be to Him, You may be last on my list but You are so far from the least. Thank you for finding me in my lowest moment. Thank you for calling my name. Thank you for calling me to do great things. Thank you for all these people I can give thanks to and the accomplishments I can celebrate. All of it is because of You. I pray that the Class of 2024 and Central altogether can find You in their next steps. I love You. 

Farewell Central Hardin High School, you’ve given me the best memories. Thank you for preparing me to move forward to this next chapter. 

Congratulations to the Class of 2024! It’s the end of an era!

Brooklyn Suarez stands on Glendale train tracks in cap and gown during senior photos session. (Jenna Hargis Photography)
View Comments (2)