Farewell to Cayson Combs

Delmetria Cayson Combs Leaves Central After Counselling for Seven Years
Delmetria on her last day counselling at Central. (Apr. 20)
Cici Hicks

Delmetria Cayson Combs (more affectionately known as “Del” to those she counseled) might be a familiar face to some, but for most students at Central, she’s unheard of. People will most likely recognize the door with the “do not disturb” sign in the 400s before they recognize Del. To anyone’s surprise, she’s been providing therapy to students at Central for seven years. 

“When I went back to school, I worked in a residential facility for teen girls,” Del explained. “I saw that counseling was a need.” 

After attending Lindsey Wilson College in her mid-twenties for her undergraduate degree, she then entered a master’s program with Lindsey Wilson. Leaving the residential facility where she had gotten her start, she swore she’d never work with teen girls again.

Del then began an internship at a prison, which she enjoyed and stayed at for five years. 

“After working at the prison, I did residential counseling with teen boys,” Del said, “They were still not as bad as the girls.” 

In her interview with The Next Step Counseling, where she works now, she expressed how she did not want to work with teen girls. In her first week, 90% of the clients she saw were teen girls. Del said this was an overwhelming experience. 

“By the end of the week I had gained a new passion for helping teen girls become the best versions of themselves,” Del said. “Giving them the opportunity to express themselves without judgment and helping them adjust to high school has been rewarding.”

She started coming to Central to help teens locally. 

“I started here in 2017,” Del explained. “When I started, the librarian then let me use the room where the Chromebooks are now kept.” 

After using the library, former coach and math teacher Kristina Covington Jones (aka “Cojo”) would leave her coach’s office, located off the big gym, open for Del to counsel. 

“I moved back to Lexington, but I kept coming back to Central,” Del said.

Youth Services Center staff Brendan Chaney and Mandy Sanders have worked closely with Del for years. 

“She has been here for seven years. She’s very consistent, reliable, and cares for the students she sees. I hate to see her go, but she will do great things in Lexington,” Chaney said. “She’s been a perfect friend and therapist to those here. We hope we can see her when she’s in E-town, or when we’re in Lexington.”

“With her coming here so often you get to know someone. She’s always been fun. All the kids have always loved her,” Sanders explained. “Even when she’s just in here eating lunch she’s always positive. Seeing her leave is bittersweet, but she’ll help more people in Lexington.”

Del has expressed her disdain for leaving Central but is moving on to bigger and better things. If it weren’t for the opening of a Lexington location of the counseling company she works for, she’d keep coming back. 

“It has been a pleasure to serve the students and faculty at Central. I have met some phenomenal students and staff,” Del said. If I had any parting words, they would be… ‘Remember, you cannot control what others do, only how you react to them and you get to determine how great you are and how great you will become.’” 

So, as Delmetria returns to the school she’s counseled at for seven years, for the last time, we, the students she sees, say thank you. We all wish you the very best in Lexington and can’t wait to see you again in the future. 

View Comments (3)