Central Hardin to go European in June 2020

Alissa Briscoe, Staff

In the summer of 2020, English teacher Carissa Argueta plans to take some Central Hardin students across the sea on an 11-day tour of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and London.

The 1-day trip will take place on June 15-25 of 2020. Some of the attractions that everyone will see are the Ring of Kark, Blarney Stone, the London Eye, the Stone Hedges, and of course Big Ben. The trip will cost $4,170 for students and $4,720 for adults, which can be set up on a payment plan. The sooner you sign up, the smaller the payments are.

It is open to anyone who would like to go. The last sign updates are in February of 2020. There aren’t any fundraisers for sure, but Christmas and birthdays always happen and are a great time to ask for some extra money.

Senior Jordan Shive explained her experience on last year’s Spring Break trip to Paris and Barcelona.

“We went to for Paris three days and Spain for three days, and my experience was pretty good because it was my first time being overseas,” Shive explained. “The culture of the two places was completely different like Paris was more romantic in my opinion, Barcelona was more beachy. It reminds me of Florida. The overall culture was pretty great, learning about different things.”

She explained some of the cool things she witnessed while in Spain. One of those sights was the Sagrada Família which is a church that has been in the process of being built for over a century. According to Shive, there is a light side and a dark side to the church.

“You had to pay to use the bathroom in public places, it was like one or two euros,” Shive said.

Subways, or metros, were also used to get just about anywhere they couldn’t walk. Another student, senior Caleb Vair, shared his experience on the trip.

“It was a really good experience honestly. Was it worth the money? Yeah, yeah it was. I liked Barcelona the best, it was just too cold for me in Paris.”

Vair and Shive also shared their favorite memories from the trip.

“My favorite memory probably was when I was on top of the Eiffel Tower and I dropped my phone on the second floor and it fell down to the first floor and magically didn’t crack,” Vair said.

“[My favorite memory was] maybe when Garrett Ashlock got off at the wrong stop,” Shive said. “We were told not to get off the metro at this stop, but he saw a big group of people getting off and thought it was us. So he got off of the metro and waved as we started moving without him. Mrs. Lane (Spanish teacher and group leader on the trip) had to get back on and ride all the way around to go and get him.”

They also talked about the free time they had. There was a lot of sightseeing and adventures that the students went on. Chaperones didn’t ever really tell them what to do.

“The only things that they chaperones will tell you is to take a shower and not lose your passport,” Argueta said.

Funnily enough, Lane left her passport on the plane after telling students not to jinx anyone.

As for planning the 2020 trip, Argueta said she has some areas of improvement in mind.

“I switched companies this time, I went through and told them all of the things I appreciated and didn’t appreciate,” Argueta said, “This company should be really good and hopefully we won’t have an issue with anything.”

The link down below is the link to sign up for the trip. To get started, you’ll need a down payment of $95.

Europe Trip Sign Ups