Eidson and Johnson Commit to Transylvania Soccer

Senior Mckenna Johnson and junior Shelby Eidson work together to cover the mid-field.
courtesy of Shelby Eidson

This fall, junior Shelby Eidson and senior Mckenna Johnson announced their commitment to continue their academic and athletic careers at Transylvania University, a NCAA Division III school located in Lexington, KY. 

Eidson and Johnson were two of the three captains on Central Hardin’s girls’ varsity soccer team this season. Each of the girls have been key varsity players since they began high school, Eidson at defensive center mid and Johnson at center mid.

“Mckenna had a lot of leadership with her voice and competitive energy. She was vocal during the game and practice about team expectations. She really influenced our team energy. When she was on, we were on,” CHHS girls’ soccer coach Justin Maddock said. “Shelby was more of a quiet leader. She led by example. She was always willing to play different roles and did it without any complaints, showing the team how to be team players.”

These Lady Bruins both started to play for Elizabethtown Youth Soccer Association (EYSA) in their adolescence, and now play for the Nelson Elite 05 club team in the off-season.

“I have played for Racing Louisville Academy for the past three years, but this year I have decided to go back to my previous club [Nelson Elite] to further enjoy my last club season,” Johnson said.

Maddock has had the opportunity to coach the girls on numerous occasions over the course of their childhood, ranging from little league to high school.

“Overall, I have now coached the [CHHS] girls soccer team for four years. I took over during McKenna’s freshman year and Shelby’s eighth grade year,” Maddock said. “I also coached them during their youth years at Atletico Flames before they moved on to other clubs.”

During her high school career, Johnson has received all-district, all-region, and all-state honors. Her favorite memory is beating Elizabethtown on their home field during the regular season.

Eidson has received all-state honors and been named the CHHS defensive MVP. Her favorite memory from her first three years is any soccer practice with the Central Hardin Lady Bruins.

“Each practice was filled with joy and laughter,” Eidson said.

In regards to the tedious college search; the location, size, and values of Transylvania fit the girls’ academic and athletic criteria to a tee. Fortunately, they will be able to continue making sweet memories as both classmates and teammates in the coming years.

“It has all the benefits of a small college, but has a big college feel because it’s in Lexington and so close to UK [University of Kentucky],” Johnson said.

“Everything the coaches mentioned seemed to fit my style of soccer and what I believe in,” Eidson added. “When I got there I instantly felt a homey feeling toward it.”

The Central Times congratulates the Lady Bruins on this accomplishment and wishes Eidson a fruitful senior year, and Johnson a smooth transition into college. 

“I am excited about this decision for them. They will both be able to make a huge impact at Transy. Transy is growing and has the potential to be a regional and national competitor. I think the two of them can be the start of that,” Maddock said.

Once a Bruin, always a Bruin; but in this case, fly high Pioneers!