Davis’s Smart car is one of a kind

Central Hardin Rides

Sebastian Petzinger, Writer

The car you see above is Matthew Davis’s 2010 Smart Fortwo. You may have noticed it parked in the school lot because it is one of a kind in comparison to the surrounding cars. Most people might laugh and make fun of this small car but if you look closer, it is quite amazing.

Davis’s car previously belonged to his uncle and he managed to get a good deal on it

“It’s got four wheels and it does everything it needs to do,” he said.

Contrary to popular belief, this car is not electric but operates solely on gasoline. The rear-wheel drive vehicle runs on a 1.0L L3 DOHC 12-valve engine and puts out 70 horsepower. It also has a 5-speed automatic transmission with a manual mode. According to Davis, it is easy to drive and handles nicely.

Davis says one of the best things about the car is the gas. It takes premium fuel, but one full tank at about $20 can last two weeks for him. The gas mileage racks up at 33 mpg city and 41 mpg highway.

I had a chance to sit in the car and what I noticed was that it feels as spacious as a regular sedan. The only time it feels different is when you turn around or to the side and get a sense of its true size. Other than that, it is quite comfortable while having all the bells and whistles a modern car should have. In addition to that, the car will fit into any and every parking spot.

Davis’s least favorite thing about the car is the looks he receives from others but he has gotten over it since he first got it. “It’s way better than riding the bus.”

He doesn’t have a name for the car, but if he had to come up with one it would be “Eileen” after the famous song “Come on Eileen.” The best part of this car is how reliable it is, and this quality is very important for student drivers.

“I have never had problems with it,” he said. “Every time I turn the key, it starts.”