Dealing with this year’s cold and flu season

Sebastian Petzinger, Writer

Flu season is here and it seems to be attacking more and more people. The flu is not the only sickness invading the school, however. There are many other illnesses spreading throughout the school and that can be a scary thought.

Becoming sick is among many people’s biggest fears because it slows down productivity and seems to put life on a short pause.

Even with all the illness going around this season, there are ways to protect yourself and the people around you. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control), states that the best way to do this is with immunizations.

Getting shots can be scary to some people and many people are skeptical about getting them. Of 275 people surveyed, (teachers and students of all grade levels) 61% did not receive a flu vaccine. The CDC agrees that this is a big problem because not getting a vaccinating can put others in danger as well as yourself.

There is a large number of people that do not believe in vaccinations because they think they do not work, or they cause harm. Natalie Read, the school nurse, blames the misconception on  “lack of education.”

While the shot is only about 50% effective in preventing the flu, according to the CDC, it is still a good thing to get. Read said that having the flu shot can lessen the symptoms of the flu if you have it.

The flu is not the only thing you should be careful about, however. There are many other sicknesses affecting people, but there are ways to prevent them.

Read said that washing your hands is the biggest way to prevent getting sick. On top of that, getting plenty of sleep and getting your vitamins every day will help boost your immune system.

While the janitors work extremely hard to keep the school clean, it is far from perfect. It is crucial that you always are careful and aware of your health habits at school to ensure that you do not fall ill.

Stay healthy Central Hardin!