My Farewell to The Central Times

Claire Prater, Writer

This week I am saying goodbye to many things. To my favorite teachers, to some of my closest friends, and ultimately to high school. But nothing has prepared me for this goodbye. 

I started writing for The Central Times as a junior. I knew nothing about journalism. Sure I read articles online and I watched the news here and there, but I wasn’t extremely interested in the field of journalism. I just knew that I enjoyed writing papers in English class. I signed up to take Newspaper as an elective class because I thought it would be fun, and quite frankly I thought it would be easy. Over the course of the last two years, though, my time as a writer for The Central Times has sparked a passion inside of me that I hope never dies. 

During my time as a writer I learned quickly the value of listening to those around me. Everyone you see has a story to tell, we just have to be quiet enough, attentive enough, and concerned enough to listen. There is no greater joy that I have found than listening. 

Not only did The Central Times enable me to listen, it allowed me to share. I find that there is an extreme importance in being informed, and I have worked hard in creating stories that will inform our readers. Students should know about the choices being made in their school, citizens should know about the things happening in their country.

I have been blessed with the best sponsor in Ms. Sherrard. There is no one who cares for their students more, who wishes to make a difference more, or who I would’ve wished to have spent the last two years writing for. She has inspired me every day to be kinder, to work harder, and to be a better writer. I hope one day to be like her, making a difference in the lives of others. 

I have met some of my very best friends through the newspaper. I love each and every writer on this staff more than they could understand. They have uplifted me and I hope that they have felt that I have done the same for each of them. This staff is talented, determined, and courageous. They inspire me every day and I am lucky that they have been a part of my life. 

I wish to end with a quote from my biggest inspiration, Taylor Swift. Recently she was awarded an honorary doctorate  in Fine Arts from New York University. In her speech she said, “Life can be heavy if you carry it all at once. Know what to keep and what to release. Decide what is yours to hold, and let all the other things go.” 

I know that I will carry my time as a writer on The Central Times with me for the rest of my life. These past two years as a journalist have molded me into the person I am today, and I am overly thankful for who I have become. I hope to continue listening and sharing the stories of others for as long as I live.