Voter Registration Drive Opportunity for Eligible Students

Maggie Phelps, Writer, Editor-in-Chief

Central Hardin’s Young Democrats and Teenage Republicans will be hosting a voter registration drive on Sept. 20-22 in the Commons Area during PowerHour. Any student who will be 18 by the general election (Nov. 8) is eligible to register. 

“Last year we did a voter registration drive in the Spring and we did encourage people that were going to be 18 by Nov. 18 to go ahead and register so that they could vote in the primary,” Young Democrats sponsor April York said. “I think that having a low turnout could possibly even be a positive thing which means we really succeeded in that past.”

Eligible students that register during this drive will have the opportunity to vote in the general election on Nov. 8. 

The general election gives voters the flexibility to vote outside of their affiliated party. However, students should be prepared to devote themselves to a party when they come to register. There are many outlets a student can use in order to make an informed decision about which political party aligns with their ideas. 

“If you go online, there’s all kinds of quizzes you can do that help you see where you fall on that spectrum,” Teenage Republican sponsor Dana Garrett said. 

York also shared how she chooses to stay in touch with the ideologies of both parties. 

“One of the things I try to do is listen to perspectives that match my own political ideologies but I also intentionally listen to podcasts every week from someone that does not match my political ideologies so that I’m seeing that variety of perspective.”

York also suggested that students seek out local news outlets to get in touch with state level politics that affect our day to day lives. The Courier Journal or The Lexington Herald Leader are both outlets reporting on state level issues. 

Some students, though, may feel that they do not resonate with a specific party or that they are unsure about which to choose. For those feeling uncertainty, there is always an option to register as Independent, which holds no affiliation. 

Political affiliation, however, isn’t binding. There is always an option to change your affiliation online if you no longer feel like you associate with the party you registered with. 

“The good news is that no matter what students pick, they can always change it later if they realize they don’t fit with that party,” Garret said. “It’s okay, whatever you pick you can change later and it’s easy to do.”

Students should be prepared with their drivers license and social security number when they come to register. Students should also be aware of the address used when registering as that will determine your precinct.  

Sophomore Lindy Barnes, member of Young Democrats, shares the impact she’s hoping this makes on the student body. She hopes that the student body becomes more politically involved and will be empowered to make their own decisions. 

“I think it’s a great way for people to realize that their opinion matters as much as anyone else and it’s a great gateway into political activism,” Barnes said. 

For students that miss the opportunity to register, there are many ways to revisit the situation later. Registration is always available online at ky.gov. Students can also visit the Hardin County Clerk’s Office if they wish for someone to walk through the process with them, Garrett shared.

Voting is one of the most impactful actions that someone can take, York hopes that students realize the power that they hold. 

“I want young people to feel empowered and their voice heard, both at the polls and in real life.”