Zak Spurrier: UK Baseball Commit

Syra Lundergan, Writer

According to Scholarship Stats, less than 2% of high school athletes go on to play at NCAA Division I schools, proving that “going DI” is no easy feat. The NCAA is split into three divisions. DI is recognized as the highest level, and the most competitive, of intercollegiate athletics sanctioned by the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Central Hardin junior Zak Spurrier beat the odds, making his way into the 2%.

“Several things make Zak, ‘Zak.’ His size, Strength, Mobility, and of course his competitive nature. Not to mention he throws pretty hard,” Central Hardin baseball coach Todd Thompson said. “I also can’t say enough about how Zak respects the game, his teammates, his coaches, and his parents.”

Spurrier has played baseball his whole life, being the starting pitcher along with playing first base. Recently, he has had opportunities presented to him to play for the University of Louisville, Eastern Kentucky University, and West Virginia University, but tied the knot with the University of Kentucky as his future home.

“It is close to home, I love the coaching staff, and it’s an SEC school,” Spurrier explained as the reasoning for his choice.

A majority of athletes wait until their senior season before deciding which college to attend, whether that be for personal motives or the hope for an outstanding senior season. However, Spurrier committed earlier this year on July 2, prior to beginning his junior year of high school.

“The coaches gave me an early opportunity to be able to play on their team,” Spurrier said, “so I didn’t want to pass it up.”

In Spurrier’s words, the recruitment process started off slow considering that the college coaches aren’t allowed to make contact with high school athletes until September 1 of their junior year.

“I was the one who had to contact them over the phone which made it difficult to communicate with them. They were allowed to come to my travel ball games over the summer, yet I still couldn’t actually sit down and talk with them in person,” Spurrier said. “Now they can text or call whenever they want to.”

Balancing practices and schoolwork set him up well for success. While he has proven to put in a lot of hard work and apply time management, Spurrier credits his skill set to the multitude of coaches who trained him over the years.

“Every coach I have ever played for is the reason why I am where I’m at today,” he said, “they have taught me, if not almost, everything I know.”

As Thompson put it, baseball players cannot be scared to fail because baseball is simply, full of failure. How a player responds to failure says a lot about their character, and with any sport, the athlete must be coach-able. If a player doesn’t inhabit these qualities, they’ll be forced to take a much longer road to reach their full potential.

Coach Thompson first met Spurrier when he was just six years old, seeming to see these traits in him from a young age.

“The way he threw and hit at that age was not typical. It’s been a pleasure to see him grow and play since then.” Thompson said.

Spurrier also considers his parents as his biggest motivators and supporters; “they are the ones who always push me the hardest no matter the situation.”

For this upcoming baseball season, Spurrier has high expectations of a winning season and for Central Hardin to make it as far as they did last year in the state tournament. Thompson shares these high expectations.

“Our goals never change. 1. Win the district regular season. 2. Win the district tournament. 3. Win Region. 4. Win the state tournament.” Thompson said.

For college, Spurrier strives to “actually play,” as well as succeed at the higher level of ball. This seems to be very plausible as Thompson describes him to be competitive, respectful, coachable, and contagiously positive. Go Wildcats!