2022 Slang, Major Events, and Fashion Trends

Preslee Decker, Staff Writer

This year has been full of laughter, hardship, and memories that will last a lifetime. Throughout 2022, a lot of new phrases, events, and trends have circulated the world. The circulation of trends, slang, and events can change how students act or even dress.  Any sort of popular movement creates a sense of unity between generations. And with that, here’s a recap of some of the most memorable parts of society from this year.

Teenage Slang Put in Context:

• Buggin: synonym of crazy, “You’re buggin.”
  • Vibe Check: analyzing the mood of a person, “Let me get a vibe check real quick.”
  • Slay: to praise someone for doing something well, usually said by itself.
  • Rent Free: when something stays in your mind a lot and you don’t mind it at all, “This movie is living rent free in my mind.”
  • Caught in 4k: when you are caught on camera doing something embarrassing, usually said by itself
  • Bussin’: when something is extraordinarily good, “Dude, this food is bussin’.”
  • Cap: you’re lying, “That’s cap.”
  • Hits different: it hits the spot, “This spaghetti hits different.”
  • Main character energy: when someone acts like they are the star of the show, “She’s giving main character energy.”
  • Low-key: on the down-low, not very well known, “I lowkey don’t like them.”
  • Situationship: a friendship that is more than a friendship but you’re not dating said person, “I’m in the middle of a situationship right now.”
  • Rizz: the ability to “pull” a significant other, “He’s got infinite rizz.”
  • It’s giving: when describing how someone is acting or dressing, “It’s giving ‘you just rolled out of bed.'”
  • Girl boss: complimenting someone for their success, “You’re such a girl boss.”
  • For real: affirming what you said, said by itself on most occasions
  • Out of pocket: something that was said that wasn’t appropriate in timing, “That was out of pocket.”
  • BFFR: be f****** for real, used by itself
  • Drippin and dippin: crying and leaving, used by itself (said commonly by Haley Boone and Gabi McCormick)

Major Events That Rocked the Internet:

• Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at Academy Awards: On March 27, Will Smith slapped Chris Rock on stage after Rock made jokes about Jada Pinkett Smith’s bald head due to shaving it because of Alopecia Areata.
  • Harry Styles album, Harry’s House and movie Don’t Worry Darling: Harry’s House debuted May 20 and topped multiple charts because of it. Don’t Worry Darling starring Style’s acting came out September 23,  shining light on him having multiple talents.
  • Johnny Depp v Amber Heard: This case was taken to court from April 11 to June 1 after Heard accused Depp of abuse and defaming her. The court ruled in Depp’s favor.
  • 2022 Marvel movies: New Marvel movies appeared in theaters during the entirety of the year; Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness aired May 6th, Thor: Love and Thunder aired on July 8th, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever appeared in theaters on November 11, and The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special aired November 25.
  • Bob Saget’s death: Well known as Danny Tanner on Full House, actor Bob Saget died on January 9 after blunt force trauma to the head.
  • The Queen of England’s death: Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth realms passed away September 8 of this year.
  • Top Gun: Maverick: The sequel to the original Top Gun movie of 1986 came out May 27. This movie sold over 1.54 billion USD in box office and became a very well known movie very fast.
  • Colleen Hoover books: These teen and young adult romance novels took the reading world by storm. Books including Ugly Love, It Ends With Us, It Starts With Us (the sequel to the previous), Reminders of Him, and Verity have become the center of the teenage bookies.
  • Elvis movie: A musical/drama of the famous Elvis Presley came out June 24 of this year. The music, accuracy, and extraordinary scenes of this film spread across the country and attracted attention in all the best ways possible.
  • Kanye (Ye) fights for custody and tweets on antisemitism: Rapper Kanye West and now ex-wife Kim Kardashian battled it out for custody of their four kids, and eventually reached a settlement after long-winded social media chaos. Recently Ye has been suspended from Twitter due to antisemetic comments, as well as offensive remarks.
  • Elon Musk and Twitter: Elon Musk bought Twitter for 44 billion dollars on October 27.
  • Taylor Swift’s Midnights and the TicketMaster chaos: Taylor Swift’s latest album, Midnights, came out on October 21. 11 days later, Swift announced her Eras Tour. After another 17 days, tickets went on sale. TicketMaster, the hub for the tickets, scammed a lot of the world’s attempts at tickets. This unfairness sent Swifties into a full on strike.
  • Russia invades Ukraine: On February 24, Russia invaded the small country of Ukraine. Till this day, the war still continues to be fought.
  • 2022 Super Bowl Halftime Show: The 2022 Super Bowl Halftime Show was what a lot of people think as the greatest halftime show in years. This show featured Eminem, Mary J. Blige, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar, Dr. Dre, Anderson .Paak and 50 Cent.

Fashion Trends of 2022:

• Platform shoes: Whether it’s summer or winter, fall or spring, platforms have stuck around since the beginning of the year. Sneakers and loafers have been popular around both teens and adults with an everyday outfit.
  • Mom jeans: Mom jeans will likely continue through the new year. High waisted and even low waisted mom jeans are quite popular
  • Anything cropped: No matter the article of clothing that goes on the top of your body, a lot of girls are wearing cropped sweaters, sweatshirts, and tees.
  • Faux leather: Fake leather pants and jackets have circulated back into style this autumn and winter season!
  • Long coats: Long coats made of wool or other materials are now popular among sleek styles.
  • Combat boots: Doc Martens and other off brand combat boots in black or white are popular among those who dress in grunge styles or even boho styles.
  • Turtlenecks: Somehow, someway, turtlenecks with layers of clothes on top are very common in public areas.
  • Headbands: Headbands that are woven or beaded are coming back around among teens and even young adults.
  • Overalls: Blue, black, or brown denim overalls have become popular outside of country styles and are now more commonly seen around Central.
  • Corduroy: From shackets to pants, both neutral and colorful corduroy products are being worn everywhere.
  • College/Team Wear: Whether it’s repping your favorite college or team sport, articles of clothing with these activities or schools have stayed popular since the 2000s.
  • Hoop Earrings: Both gold and silver jewelry, including hoop earrings, are staying in the fashion trends for the long run.
  • Kendra Scott necklaces: Kendra Scott necklaces, no matter if it’s the heart design or the oval, are quite popular among teen girls despite their cost.
  • Bubble braids: The bubble braid hairstyle has popped up on both Instagram and TikTok, causing an abundance of people to adopt the new hair idea.
  • Blue light glasses: No matter the model of glasses, wearing blue light glasses is a daily occurrence.
  • Rings: As said above, rings both gold, silver, or any other metal that are mixed and matched, as well as worn multiple at once, are popular among both guys and girls.
  • Ripped jeans: Whether skinny jeans, mom jeans, or even bootcut jeans, rips anywhere on the pants are a trend among all genders of teens and adults.
  • Lots of highlighter: Makeup wise, teenage girls have a habit of putting quite a bit of highlighter on their nose, corner of their eyes, and high cheekbone area.
  • Curling your hair without heat: Whether you use a robe tie or Lululemon leggings, curling your hair without using heat has become common among those who are trying to keep their hair as healthy as possible.
  • Claw clips: Claw clip hairstyles have stuck around since the beginning of the year, adding a cute messy style to the school fashion wear.
  • Pajama pants: Since the beginning of the year, it has become more socially acceptable to wear pajama pants in public areas.

From this information, I hope everyone gets to reminisce on the most significant parts of 2022. See everyone next year!