It’s Bigger Than Basketball

An Insight Into the Upcoming Freshman Basketball Games vs. KSD
The Central Hardin boys basketball team breaking out as a team after the Ballin With The Bruins showcase night (Nov. 14).
The Central Hardin boys’ basketball team “breaking out” as a team after the Ballin With The Bruins showcase night (Nov. 14).
Susan Sherrard

Established in 1823, Kentucky School for the Deaf (KSD) has created an adept environment catering to local deaf students for centuries. On Dec. 19, the KSD basketball programs will load their buses and head for Cecilia to take on both our boys’ and girls’ freshman basketball teams; with their girls’ head coach a Central Hardin alum.

“Their coach graduated from here, and she’s a friend of my wife and sister in-law. They all went to school together and played basketball,” CHHS girls’ basketball head coach Glenn Petersen said. “She was wanting to bring her girls back to where she is from.”

Laura McKinney, head coach of the KSD girls’ basketball team, started playing basketball for CHHS as a freshman under coach Terry Buckles, whom our court is now named after. This is her first year coaching, and ultimately the first basketball season for KSD since before the Covid-19 global quarantines.

“When it comes to coaching, I had some of the very best role models, and if I can in some way make a difference in the life of one of my players like my coaches did mine, then I know I am successful,” McKinney said.

At the start of the season McKinney invited Buckles to speak with her players. McKinney’s Bruin pride runs deep and she strives to mimic a similar culture for the Lady Colonels.

“When I told them we were going to where I played, their eyes lit up,” McKinney said. “I want them to see a gym where people from the other team are also cheering for them.”

While the Bruin basketball teams know they are playing KSD, both the coaches and players are treating this game no different from the rest of the schedule.

“I think the only challenge that might come about would be a culture shock for our guys just seeing how the game is officiated a little differently because whistles and buzzers are a big part of the game,” assistant boys’ basketball coach Ben Pyles said.

Luckily, McKinney applauds the refs and ASL translators for their patience and spirit, and noted that there are even a few deaf refs in the area. Communication is a huge determining factor to any sport, one that KSD is preserving through more than we realize.

“Communicating with my team during the game is the hardest part,” McKinney said. “If I need to tell them something I can’t just yell their name. They have to be looking at me.”

At the end of the day, or end of the game, all parties involved can agree that regardless of circumstances, everyone is capable of being competitive and has the right to participate in extracurricular activities.

“Same as always, I want them to understand that life is bigger than basketball. We can get some good experiences from the sport, but at the end of the day it’s just basketball,” Petersen said. “These girls that are coming face obstacles that our girls don’t understand.”

I encourage you to join us as we support the Bruins, as well as our former Bruin, on Dec. 19 for an exciting freshman match-up.

“Walking into a gym that you grew up playing in as a head coach is a special feeling and I am forever grateful that we are being given this opportunity,” McKinney said.

View Comments (1)