Get to Know New Teachers at Central: Mr. Smith

Carter Cox, Staff Writer

Adam Smith is a first-year teacher here at Central, so we would like to give students a chance to learn more about his background. He teaches all P.E. classes and is also a coach for the football team. 

CENTRAL TIMES: Where did you attend high school? College?

SMITH: Washington County is the name of the high school. [For college] I went to the University of the Cumberlands.

CENTRAL TIMES: What gave you the idea to become a teacher?

SMITH: When I was in high school, I looked up to a lot of teachers, and a lot of them were my role models, and they helped people, and that’s what I wanted to do in life. I want to help kids, I want to help them become great individuals, and just become the best wives and husbands in life.

CENTRAL TIMES: How long have you been teaching?

SMITH: This is my first year.

CENTRAL TIMES: What brought you to Central?

SMITH: I had some connections here, some family and some people from back home. I know the Coach here, that just got me here.

CENTRAL TIMES: How has your experience at Central been so far?

SMITH: It’s been great. At first, it was a little tough, just because it was a new area, and unfamiliar. But the people here at Central Hardin are awesome — they’re one big, loving family. It’s made my transition very easy and I’ve enjoyed the experience so far.

CENTRAL TIMES: What classes do you teach? Did you want to teach that subject?

SMITH: P.E.: Freshman P.E., advanced P.E., and any P.E. classes. Yes, that was my plan all through college and what I wanted to do.

CENTRAL TIMES: Is there a reason you chose to teach that subject?

SMITH: Well, I’m very involved in sports and have always played sports my whole life, and I wanted to stay around the game really and stay involved with sports because that’s what I enjoy to do and what I love.

CENTRAL TIMES: What is your favorite part about being a teacher?

SMITH: It’s very rewarding. The feeling you get when you can help kids, and that’s what I enjoy the most.

CENTRAL TIMES: Have you ever had any other career than teaching? If so, what were they?

SMITH: I mean I’ve worked small-end jobs over the summer, city jobs, and some yard work.

CENTRAL TIMES: How do you spend your free time outside of school?

SMITH: I like to spend time with family, I got a fiancee and I like to spend time with her, I enjoy working out and exercising, and I play video games here and there.