Movies & TV Shows That Perfectly Capture That Fall Feeling

Hannah Martin, Writer

As we transition from Hot Girl Summer to Cozy Girl Fall, we trade sunsets on the beach to watch the leaves change colors. As the season changes and all the food magically becomes pumpkin flavored, it’s also a perfect time to revisit those TV shows and movies that put you in the fall mood. 

1. Gilmore Girls

The TV drama Gilmore Girls is the epitome of a show that will give you that warm, fuzzy feeling of fall. This dramedy is centered around the relationship between a thirtysomething single mother, Lorelai, and her teen daughter, Rory living in Stars Hollow, Connecticut. Other than the great writing and characters, the beautiful warm tint of the show and autumn sweaters keep drawing watchers back. When watching it’s like you transcend into a world where every season is fall. Gilmore Girls just hits differently when you want to cuddle up with a warm blanket and a cup of coffee. 

Gilmore Girls is streaming on Netflix

1. Harry Potter Film Series

The Harry Potter series is a pretty popular franchise and most people know at least a little about the films. Harry Potter is a series of seven fantasy movies that follow the life of Harry and his friends Hermione and Ron, all of whom are students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Fall is the season Harry has to get back to Hogwarts! It’s that magical time of the year when they use their wands and fly on their broomsticks. Fall, in general, can be a marvelous time, and the Harry Potter movies like to incorporate aspects like pumpkins, witches, and magic which are typically things we associate with the time of year like autumn.  

Harry Potter is streaming on Peacock

1. American Horror Story

American Horror Story is an anthology series centering on different characters and locations, including the most popular stories within the show like a house with a murderous past, an insane asylum, and a witch coven. The show provides a creepy atmosphere, perfect for lighting a candle and covering up in a blanket, which is also okay to use to shield your eyes if you get a little scared. American Horror Story is a great show if you love the fall vibes that send a shiver up your spine. 

American Horror Story is streaming on Hulu   

1. Hocus Pocus

The famous Disney film Hocus Pocus clearly gives everyone the motivation to carve a pumpkin and accidentally release a witch coven, which is exactly what teenager Max does in this seasonal favorite. With help from a magical cat, Max, his little sister Dani, and his friend Allison must steal the witches book of spells to stop them from becoming immortal. Hocus Pocus takes place in Salem, Massachusetts, AND during Halloween. What’s more fall than that? The witches and the costumes really capture the nostalgia of the fall and Halloween time when you were a kid. The first Hocus Pocus was so good, Hocus Pocus 2 is coming out on Disney+ on Sept. 30. 

Hocus Pocus is streaming on Disney+

1. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

This short film starring Charlie Brown and his best friends takes place during….Thanksgiving, shocking right? A very famous part of A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is when Lucy entices Charlie Brown to kick a football she is holding, calling it a Thanksgiving tradition; she pulls the ball away, as usual, stating that some traditions fade away. This is a cute moment between two friends and when you watch it, it makes you feel good. Charlie Brown and his friends really embrace their fall spirit during Thanksgiving and it makes viewers want to eat good food and play some football. 

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is streaming on Apple TV+

1. When Harry Met Sally

This witty romantic story is the perfect example of a realistic fall movie. When Harry Met Sally follows a ten-year friendship between Harry and Sally as they navigate their love lives in New York City. With knit sweaters and golden treetops, the film is a visual representation of fall. Orange fills the frame around them in each scene, painting a dreamscape between them. 

When Harry Met Sally is streaming on Netflix and HBO Max

1. Gossip Girl

There’s nothing like going back to school. When a show takes place in a school setting the aura just gives fall. Gossip Girl follows a group of amazingly dressed and disgustingly behaved teenagers living on the Upper East Side of New York. The fancy coats and unnecessary drama will suck you in and won’t let you go, this is the perfect after-school binge if you want a little teen angst and a reason to slip into your favorite sweatpants.

Gossip Girl is streaming on HBO Max