Looking to share your artwork? Art Club has an opportunity for you!

Lakenzie+Powell%2C+junior%3A+%E2%80%9CThis+was+inspired+by+Steampunk%2C+which+I+think+is+a+cool+art+style%2C+and+I+wanted+to+try+it+out+because+I+usually+just+do+cartoon+stuff%2C+so+I+thought+it+would+be+a+neat+thing+to+do+to+display+steampunk.%E2%80%9D+

Lakenzie Powell, junior: “This was inspired by Steampunk, which I think is a cool art style, and I wanted to try it out because I usually just do cartoon stuff, so I thought it would be a neat thing to do to display steampunk.”

Dailey Harris

On Oct. 31, Art Club had a meeting for students during Power Hour in Whitney Carpenter’s room to have a Snack-and-Share, which was a first-time event that allowed students to eat, mingle, and talk about their artwork.

The meeting began with Carpenter introducing the snack and share to students, and some general guidelines about criticizing others’ artwork.

In order to help students understand, they used the acronym T. A. G., which stands for Tell the artist something you like, Ask the artist a question, Give the artist a suggestion.

Carpenter also gave them some personal rules to follow as an artist.

“The number one rule is ‘Don’t compare your work to others, compare your new work to the old.”

Students brought a variety of artwork, anywhere from a doodle completed in class to a steampunk decorated balloon.

Carpenter said that this event benefited the students by giving the striving artist an opportunity to experience their peer’s artwork.

“I believe it benefited them to see the other student’s work and see that they had a common interest or see a new or different technique, that other students in the club were doing,” she said. “Then also, for those students who don’t currently have an art class,it was a way for them to share their work and do artwork and have a purpose for it.”

Carpenter said she plans to have more Snack-and-Shares for Art Club Members.

“This last one was pretty successful, so I think I might try and do one at our monthly meetings.”

Carpenter is planning to have two meetings per month, one for the snack and share and the other for monthly art projects.