The Central Times

How to win spirit week

The sophomore class shows off their class color.

Alloria Frayser, Writer

The results are in, and the sophomore class won the spirit stick! Now, I know a lot of you are upset, surprised, confused, and shocked that spirit week took such an unexpected turn, but the sophomores actually won fair and square.

Anatomy and physiology teacher Leann Blair is in charge of formulating how each aspect of spirit week is scored and how it contributes to the win of the spirit stick. She appoints four “incognito” judges to judge each grade within the week.

The judges grade based on hallway decoration, class participation on dress up days, the organization of shirts in the front of each section at the pep rally, and how loud each class is at the pep rally when they do each cheer (C-H-H-S, Fight Song, Blue-White, etc).

The most frequently asked question has been, how are these aspects weighted? Blair says that they are all weighted exactly the same. There isn’t one factor that contributes to your score more than another.

With all of this information out in the open, now you can encourage your fellow classmates to put their best foot forward next spirit week. No matter who wins, school spirit is still the coolest contribution you could give to CHHS.

About the Writer
Alloria Frayser, Staff Member

Hi friends! I'm Alloria Frayser and I'm a senior here at CHHS. This is my first year with The Central Times, and I'm so excited to be a part of this wonderful...

13 Comments

13 Responses to “How to win spirit week”

1. Kachow on September 21st, 2018 8:36 am

Asinine and purposeless, this article achieves no goal. There are serious challenges facing the community, and you people choose to greenlight a screaming competition guide? Pathetic.

2. Alloria Frayser on September 24th, 2018 11:16 am

We appreciate your honesty. What are some issues in our community that you would like to see covered in our student newspaper?

3. Devon Heath on September 21st, 2018 8:45 am

I really liked this piece and how you worded it. Great job!

4. Carolee Coleman on September 21st, 2018 8:54 am

Although the senior class was upset that we lost, the sophomores won fair and square. Yes, we won the hallway and the pep rally chants, but our class sometimes slacks in dressing out for the themes each day. It is hard to accept a loss because we are all so competitive, but we are proud of the sophomores. It is promising to know that when we leave, there is a class with (almost) as much spirit as we have. The whole point of spirit week is to prepare for homecoming when all of the classes can come together to support our football or basketball team with some class competition in there and I think we all do a great job at that.

5. jordan isom on September 21st, 2018 9:06 am

This is good. Definitely drew me in. You said you were gonna explain how they won but you didn’t explain. I think you should have explained how many points they got for each category compared to the other classes. That’s what I was expecting when I read the little blurp.

6. Zachariah Jones on September 21st, 2018 11:55 am

That makes a lot of sense to me now. I was definitely confused on they won but if all of those factors that you said are weighted in and no just how loud you are in the rally it clears up how they won. So in that regard, in fact, the Sophomores did indeed win fair and square.

7. amanda kratzwald on September 21st, 2018 1:31 pm

I love how you put this out here for everyone to read as they wish. The seniors and myself personally were extremely blindsided when it was announced that the sophomores won the spirit stick but I do believe they deserved it. We were hurt our sophomore year when we lost to the seniors and we knew that we deserved the spirit stick and they probably would’ve been the same way if they had lost. You helped to clear up any questions and doubts about how we were scored and it helped to settle a feud.

8. Jackson Flanagan on September 21st, 2018 1:33 pm

This was very insightful. I never knew how a grade would win the spirit stick until I read this article. One thing I would say is that there was never an explanation for why the sophomores won. There was only an explanation on the criteria to win. Otherwise, I really enjoyed reading this. Good Job Alloria!

9. Madison Andretta on September 21st, 2018 1:35 pm

First of all, yes, I know that the sophomores won fair and square with the system we have now. Also, congrats to all of the class of 2021 who are reading this. Good job 🙂
    Also, fantastic writing Alloria.
    The one question that pops to my mind: how are the points tallied up? You said that the points were weighted equally, so does that mean that each spirit day counts as one point, or does the whole week? Personally, I think that all of the days combined should only count as one or two points. Yes, dressing up as a class is important, but is it really worth five times as much as the hallway decorations? Personally, I don’t think so.
    -Maddie Andretta, Class of 2019

10. Ryan J. Getler on September 21st, 2018 2:01 pm

While I am upset about losing, the sophomore class truly did win fair and square! In 2017, my class (juniors at the time) won, and it motivated us beyond words. We felt so confident and so happy that we beat the seniors. Looking back on 2018’s pep rally, I am actually proud of the sophomores. When I first saw the current junior class, all I could think was “how did they get into high school?” But, when the current sophomore class first came to Central, I immediately saw a difference between the two. The sophomores have some impressive, unique kids that, I swear, are more talented and more mature than most seniors!

If any sophomores read this, I mean every word! If any juniors see this, I am not trashing you. I’m just trying to rile you up to get your heads straight lol!

11. Jordan Bloom on September 23rd, 2018 7:44 am

I think the way that the spirit sticks is given/ won is a great way to show team spirit

12. Bridgette Blaylock on September 24th, 2018 7:47 am

I think that all the classes did great. Even though the sophomores won the seniors still won in some categories. It’s all about getting together as a school and showing what central Hardin is really made of . Great job ❤️

13. Rebecca McCullough on September 24th, 2018 10:45 am

Personally, I don’t think the number of people who dress up should play a part in whether or not a certain class wins. I don’t think it is fair because not everyone has the right clothes for dressing up for spirit week and no one should go out and buy clothes to fit spirit week just to wear it that one time. Poor people like myself don’t have the time or money to go buy clothes to wear for “beach bum” day or “western” day.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• How to win spirit week

News

Paying respects to those who served!

• How to win spirit week

News

Are you a good student? PBIS has a reward for you!

• How to win spirit week

News

HCS officials explain district’s religion policy

• How to win spirit week

News

Looking to share your artwork? Art Club has an opportunity for you!

• How to win spirit week

News

Isaacs’ September Challenge Winners

• How to win spirit week

News

Bruin cap and gown get an upgrade

• How to win spirit week

News

Foreign Exchange students get up close and personal with Maroon 5

• How to win spirit week

News

Mayoral forum catches student attention

• How to win spirit week

News

Isaacs’ Challenge of the Month

• How to win spirit week

News

Say Thank You

The Student News Site of Central Hardin High School
How to win spirit week