Five Fundamentals for Fresh Meat

Tips and Tricks to Help Out the Freshman Class

Art by Chrysla Jewell, Class of 2023

Note: This article was originally published on Aug. 29, 2022. It has been edited, considering the Class of 2027 as its audience.

As your news publication staff, we have a vested interest in taking care of our readers, especially incoming students. As sophomores, juniors, and seniors, we have put together a list of what we consider our best advice for freshmen. We hope these words of wisdom encourage you to make the most of your year and help you understand that you are not alone. We’ve all been there.

Fueling Your Education 

Starting high school is exciting, but it’s not High School Musical or Mean Girls. Just like elementary and middle, high school is centered around educational experience and the choices that determine the path towards your future. New classes, new friends, new teachers: it can all seem rather daunting. However, staying organized is a key tool to help minimize the stress of a school day. Furthermore, striving to maintain a realistic schedule will undoubtedly improve your time management. This aspect of structure also prepares you for further education and real-life situations. Now, don’t be overwhelmed. The staff, administrators, and upperclassmen are here to help. Please don’t be afraid to ask questions. They are here to provide a safe space and guide you down the path toward success. Whatever goals you may have, Central Hardin wants to support your journey. Creating short-term goals in high school can make the long-term milestones more easily attained. For example, if you are unsure of a pathway you wish to go down, explore the subjects that you enjoy! Read and research things to better your knowledge on niche topics. But most importantly, stay hydrated and prioritize your sleep. Fueling your body will fuel your education.

Find Your Inner Bruin

Whether you’re an athlete, artist, musician, or scholar, at the end of the day, you’re a Bruin! Bruins have a strong individualized energy, but we can’t forget they like to stick together. Come hang with the pack at any or all of the games here at Central! We having raving reviews of our student section and TONS of school spirit. We will say, we undoubtedly have one big rule of attending sports events: you’re never too cool to wear the theme of the night! Showing your spirit is nothing to be ashamed of and sets the atmosphere for not only great photo-ops, but also for players on the court or field. No matter what age or class, everyone is welcome and wanted. Speaking of Bruin pride, spirit week is a school-wide tradition that both teachers and students look forward to every Homecoming. We encourage you to help decorate the hallways, dress up according to the daily theme, and learn our fight song! You won’t regret it. Once a Bruin, always a Bruin.

Form Relationships

Beginning your high school career offers a variety of new freedoms, friends, and loads of fun. Yet, with these new opportunities also come new responsibilities. The teachers and administrators here will not baby or forgive you for horse-play. Be cautious and self-aware of your conversations and actions while in and out of the building. You are a student of Central Hardin and represent what legacy our school is building. We ask that you be kind, courteous, and understanding towards supervisors, instructors, and peers. Have an open mind when conversing with others and offer a helping hand if someone seems in need of a companion. Inviting new people to events or something as simple as your lunch table can make the biggest difference. Being social can be scary, but you cannot grow if you stay stuck in your comfort zone. Creating a sense of community in your classes will inspire others to do the same, empowering everyone for a more united front. Similarly, don’t be afraid to connect with your teachers. Even if they intimidate you at first glance, we can promise they want to get to know who you are, your likes, dislikes, and goals. The adults in this building are setting you up for success and will likely leave an impact on your life forever. Despite the resemblance between some teachers and Ms. Puff, I reassure you, their personalities are not comparable. 

Feel Free to Use Your Resources

At Central Hardin, we are lucky enough to be the home to a lengthy list of educational resources. The library is generally a quiet common area where printing and Internet are accessible, books are open for checkout, and relaxation is encouraged. The Youth Service Center offers counseling and advisors who provide information on at-home or in-the-classroom needs. The Counseling Office, currently located passed the library where hallways intersect, houses your grade-specific counselors who are available at your discretion. Here at The Central Times, we offer thrilling and entertaining articles for your enjoyment.  Use PowerHour to your advantage; be aware of what half teachers are open. A productive day is always a good day.

Fight Peer Pressure

Whether you want to admit it or not, the people around you influence your daily decisions. Despite what other people may tell you, your decisions are yours to make. Doing drugs, drinking, or participating in drama are not a slay nor a flex. A good affirmation to remember: Stay Free from the Triple D’s! On the other hand, you won’t remember the way your hair looked or the way your clothes fit, and neither will anyone else. Wear what makes you feel confident, and don’t judge your peers for what they are wearing.

Upperclassmen, if you have other advice for our Class of 2027, share it in the comments. Freshmen, if you have questions or comments, please share – and enjoy your first year at Central Hardin.