Central Hardin Y-Club Conquers KYA

Central+Hardin+delegation+at+KYA+

Photo provided by Tyler Vessels

Central Hardin delegation at KYA

Maggie Phelps, Writer, Editor-in-Chief

Commonwealth bill sponsors junior Zach Townsend and seniors Elin Evans, Maggie Powell, and Serena McNeilly in front of the Kentucky State Capitol (Photo provided by Tyler Vessels.)
Bluegrass bill sponsors sophomores Emerson McNeilly, Elli Smith, and Elena Mcneil, and junior Garrett Milby in front of the Kentucky State Capitol (Photo provided by Tyler Vessels.)

Kentucky Youth Assembly (KYA) is a three day program hosted by the Kentucky YMCA that allows students to grow their knowledge in local politics and political procedure. Students are given the opportunity to write and present a piece of legislation that affects the fabric of Kentucky, enact parliamentary procedure to debate bills, and grow in any area that is correlated to their interests. 

Central Hardin’s Y-Club flooded to the Crowne Plaza from Nov. 20-22 to participate in this one of a kind program. The delegation was strapped with two pieces of legislation, two Media Corps delegates, and supportive peers ready to grab onto the information provided to them. 

Junior Zach Townsend and seniors Serena McNeily, Elin Evans, and Maggie Powell sponsored a bill to remove straight ticket voting on the ballot.  This Commonwealth bill was passed.

Sophomores Emerson McNeilly, Elli Smith, and Elena Mcneil, and junior Garrett Milby sponsored a bill relating to adding another license plate to the front of all Kentucky vehicles. This Bluegrass bill was passed. 

Milby was recognized as Outstanding Delegate and Savannah Singleton was recognized as Outstanding Speaker. 

If you are interested in joining the Y-Club or attending Y Sponsored events in the future, please contact the Central Hardin Y-Club sponsors: Tyler Vessels ([email protected]) or Katherine Graybeal ([email protected]).