The Bruin Community Shares Ideas on New Year’s Resolutions and How to Follow Them

Preslee Decker, Staff Writer

The start of 2023 is coming in hot. 

With the fresh beginning of a new year comes new expectations for yourself and others around you.

New Year’s resolutions could have possibly been existent since the late 17th century, so the concept of setting goals for yourself isn’t a new trend. 

Essentially, a new year’s resolution is a promise you make to yourself to do something differently at the beginning of a new year. 

31 out of 39 teachers, students, or staff who responded to our survey say that they sometimes or always make New Year resolutions annually. 

We all know that maintaining these resolutions is basically impossible for most teenagers around the globe due to many reasons. It could be outside issues or even a change in future paths. 

For those who may want some tips on how to consistently make these commitments starting on the first day of January, Freshman Ashley Borders has a few recommendations for you.

I may make schedules or reminders for myself, whether that be tangible notes or reminders in my phone,” Borders said. 

Another recommendation comes from Junior Sofia Slack.

I’ll tell other people I’m close with so they can help keep me on track,” Slack said. 

Whether your goal is to work out every day or read at least one book a month, using these methods will help you achieve your goal(s) by the end of the year.

While most people agree that new year resolutions are for you benefit, 11 out of 47 responders to the Google Form said that these resolutions do not help you grow as a person. 

Teri Sparks, enrichment teacher, was one of the 11 that said that if the goal isn’t for the better, the point doesn’t amount to  much.

“Usually a resolution involves a change of behavior.  This change should allow growth. If it doesn’t, then what was the point?” Sparks said.

Junior Brandon Lee gives the perfect viewpoint on how he sees setting resolutions.

He says that if you want to change, you will. New Year’s is a convenient time in which people can set goals to change, but if you really want to do something differently, it probably won’t be centered around a New Year’s resolution you made.

Either way, you can choose to make a difference at any point in your year or even life.

All in all, setting goals can be set at any time of year, but a new year’s resolution can be put in place to start anew. 

Hopefully, the tips above will help you set your goal(s) if you choose to set them. And there’s no need to feel any pressure to make them on New Year’s Day. Any day during the year will work just fine.