Get to Know New Teachers at Central: Mrs. Wilson

Calei Loy, Staff Writer

Christine Wilson has entered her 17th year of teaching, but this is her first year at Central Hardin, and we wanted to give students a chance to learn more about her and her background.

CENTRAL TIMES: Where did you attend high school? College?

WILSON: I went to Warren Woods Tower High School which is in Warren, Michigan, right outside of Detroit. For college, I received my Bachelor of Arts in French from Middle Tennessee State University and my Master of Arts in Teaching Spanish from the University of Louisville.  In addition, I also have National Board Certification in Teaching World Languages.

CENTRAL TIMES: What prompted you to become a teacher?

WILSON: I always wanted to be a teacher since high school but I didn’t start teaching until I was 29.  I got married and had a baby before I became a teacher.

CENTRAL TIMES: How long have you been teaching?

WILSON: This is my 17th year of teaching.

CENTRAL TIMES: Did you teach at any other school(s) before coming to Central, if so where?

WILSON: I taught French and Spanish at Meade County High School for 16 years.  I also subbed in Fort Knox Schools for a couple of years before going to Meade.

CENTRAL TIMES: What brought you to Central?

WILSON: When I found out that my friend Amy Boyer, (the previous French teacher here at Central) was leaving, I thought it was a good time for a change.  My teaching role in Meade County had changed and I was mostly teaching arts and humanities. I really wanted to continue teaching French so coming to Central was an opportunity that I couldn’t pass up.

CENTRAL TIMES: How has your experience at Central Hardin been so far?

WILSON: I LOVE it!  My classes and my students are excellent and my colleagues and administrators are top-notch!

CENTRAL TIMES: What class/classes do you teach? 

WILSON: I teach French I-III this year.

CENTRAL TIMES: Is there a reason that you chose the subject that you teach? 

WILSON: I just always loved learning about other languages and cultures.  I love to travel and it is fun to bring those experiences into the classroom.

CENTRAL TIMES: What is your favorite part about being a teacher?

WILSON: No matter if I am having a bad day, I can always count on my students to make me laugh. I appreciate their sense of humor.  They always put a smile on my face.

CENTRAL TIMES: Have you ever done anything other than teaching? 

WILSON: I have worked in offices, a factory, and a restaurant. Just prior to teaching, I worked in the Spanish department of a large Christian ministry in Colorado.  I learned a lot of Spanish on the job which eventually lead me to get my teaching certificate in Spanish, then French.

CENTRAL TIMES: How do you spend your free time outside of school?

WILSON: I love to spend time with my family.  My son Caleb, who is 11, is very active in sports so my husband and I spend a lot of time at the ball field.  My daughter Bethany is 22 and is in the Air Force stationed in Hawaii. I love to travel and we were lucky enough to get to go there last summer for a visit.  I also enjoy reading, doing yoga, listening to music, watching tv, and going to the theater.